Overbrook Farm's Snow Ridge skipped over a wet-fast track at Santa Anita Sunday to upset heavily favored Squirtle Squirt in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II). Under Mike Smith, Snow Ridge ran the six furlongs 1:07.70.
Odds-on favorite A New Twist set the pace through the opening quarter-mile then dueled with Cherokee Girl for a half-mile, before 22-1 longshot Take the Cake rolled by the leading pair to win the $100,000 Forward Gal Stakes (gr. III) by 3 1/4 lengths Sunday at Gulfstream Park.
Totaly Wild, ridden by C.C. Lopez, made a move along the inside Sunday and won the $84,900 Busanda Stakes at Aqueduct by a neck.
Thoroughbred owners and breeders in Central Kentucky are on high alert for signs or symptoms of mare reproductive loss syndrome, but, as of late January, they were preparing for the 2002 breeding season with a "business as usual" approach. The season traditionally begins Feb. 15.
- By Tom Precious
As racetracks continued to insist they can't make money off New York's new video lottery terminal program, Gov.George Pataki released a state budget proposal that for the first time projects revenue for government from the gambling devices.
- By Steve Haskin
Assistant trainer Yvonne Azeff, who was injured Saturday after being thrown and pinned beneath the stable pony, was still unconscious at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, Fla. as of Monday morning, a spokesperson at trainer John Ward's barn said. All tests have proven negative and all her vital signs are good. "She's getting better, but very slowly," the spokesperson said.
Graded stakes winners Hollycombe and Strike Gold have arrived at Jack Hoover's Circle H Ranch near Murrieta, Calif
Millionaire War Chant's first foal was born Jan. 25 at Warren Rosenthal's Patchen Wilkes Farm near Lexington, KY.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training