Stonerside Stable's Tout Charmant earned her first victory since November of 2000, coming from just off the pace to win the $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) by two lengths over Janet. "That was the Tout Charmant we've come to know and love," said winning rider Chris McCarron.
Hook and Ladder caught Kipperscope in the stretch and pulled away to a 3 1/4 -length victory Sunday in the $100,000 Mr. Prospector Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park to remain unbeaten from four starts at the South Florida track.
The Thoroughbred Corporation's homebred Popular was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Roman Dancer, then fought back to the lead under jockey Victor Espinoza to win Sunday's $107,900 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) by a nose at Santa Anita.
Bob Baffert-trained China Grind, a 3-year-old son of Grindstone, has been sidelined and is now off the Kentucky Derby trail.
After finishing second to 9-year-old Sir Bear in Saturday's Skip Away Handicap (gr. III), trainer Joe Orseno said Red Bullet will race next in the 1 1/8-mile Donn Handicap (gr. I). Other Skip Away runners likely to return in the Donn are Traditionally and Skip Away third-place finisher Hal's Hope. The connections of the valiant Sir Bear are undecided on the gelding's next start.
Trainer Ken McPeek sent out a pair of Kentucky Derby prospects for exercise at Gulfstream Park Sunday. Harlan's Holiday went five furlongs in :59 2/5, handily, while Repent breezed three furlongs in :36 1/5. Also working Sunday was Derby future-book favorite Siphonic, who went seven furlongs in 1:26 2/5, handily, at Hollywood Park.
A full brother to Golden Slipper winner Catbird brought $1.1 million (Australian) Sunday at the Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions yearling sale, setting a record for the Gold Coast-based Magic Millions Sales company in Australia.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista