Irish farm owner Paul Collins paid $625,000 for the top selling colt in Fasig-Tipton Kentucky's selected yearling sale in Lexington, Ky. The sale began strong with the average price jumping 34% to $97,402 compared with the opening session of 2000.
- By Tom Precious
A first round of indictments involving allegations of criminal activity at betting window operations at New York Racing Association tracks is expected today, sources said Wednesday. Also Thursday, the winning bidder for New York City Off-Track Betting Corp. is expected to be announced.
Legislation that would bring off-track and account wagering to New Jersey will be signed into law at Monmouth Park Aug. 5, the day of the $1 million Haskell Invitational Handicap.
California horseman Rick Taylor announced that he will stand graded stakes winner Comic Strip under a lease arrangement at his Special T Thoroughbreds near Temecula, Calif., in 2002.
With the 2001 Keeneland summer sale in the history books, the yearling auction scene shifts cross-town today to Fasig-Tipton Kentucky, which has cataloged 427 yearlings for its Selected Summer Yearling Sale.
While only two of the six yearlings from the late Mr. Prospector's final crop of foals exceeded their reserve price, the two that did sell on Tuesday night in the final session of the Keeneland July select yearling sale pushed the legendary sire over the $200-million mark in career revenue for yearlings sold at public auction. With $5,500,000 in receipts at this year's July sale, the son of Raise a Native now has $202,884,728 in lifetime yearling sale revenue.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx