Trainer Bobby Frankel has 35 graded stakes to his credit in 2001 (48 stakes wins in all, and one more shot at a grade I win when he sends out Rolly Polly in Saturday's La Brea Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park.
Washington owner Robert Resoff, who won the 1990 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III) with Snipledo, died Dec. 23 of complications from liver cancer at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle.
Laura Hillenbrand won the Media Eclipse Award for Writing in the Features/Enterprise category. Hillenbrand's article, "The Greatest Horse Race Ever," was an original adaptation of part of her best-selling book, "Seabiscuit: An American Legend," that appeared in the May 2001 issue of Equus Magazine. This is the second Eclipse award for Hillenbrand.
Robert Resoff, a partner in Emerald Downs Racetrack in Washington state and a pioneer in the Northwest seafood business, died Sunday at Virginia Mason Medical Center. He was 85.
Coolmore Stud is working on a deal that calls for first-crop stallion Victory Speech to stand the 2002 breeding season at East Stud in Japan.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park