Starrer made up for tough luck earlier in the year, coming from off the pace under Jerry Bailey to win the grade II, $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap by one length over game California-bred filly Queenie Belle at Hollywood Parkon Saturday. In the day's third graded stakes, Garrett Gomez guided Brazilian-bred Verruma to a half-length victory over Vencera in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap.
Amerman Racing Stables' Siphonic moves to the head of the West Coast 2-year-old class with a victory in the Hollywood Futurity.
Amelia beat Sara's Success by a neck Saturday in the $100,000 France A. Genter Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Calder. In the $100,000 Kenny Noe Jr. Handicap, Fappie's Notebook beat Kiss A Native by 1 1/2 lengths.
Jan, Mace and Samantha Siegel's Here's Zealous collared front-running Run Kush Run in mid stretch and glided on to a four-length victory in Saturday's grade III, $107,900 Gravesend Handicap for three-year-olds and up at six furlongs.
Hong Kong racing officials have big dreams for a planned Asian Racing Series. "We want, in the end, to have these races build up as the world turf championship," said Hong Kong Jockey Club Director of Racing Winfried Englebrecht-Bresges.
Trainer Bob Camac and his wife Maryann, who were slain Dec. 6 at their farm in Oldmans Township, N. J., were laid to rest in New Castle, De. after a memorial service at Trinity United Methodist Church in Pennsville, N. J. Friday. The couple, who had been married 31 years, were paid their last respects by a gathering of more than 500 people, including trainers, jockeys, owners, jockey agents and racetrack management.
You, whose disappointing effort as the odds-on favorite in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies serves as one of the few minuses on trainer Bobby Frankel's resume this year, will be out to rebound against two other grade I winners Sunday in Hollywood Park's grade I, $365,000 Hollywood Starlet for 2-year-old fillies.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot