Fasig-Tipton's November select mixed sale suffered significant declines in gross revenue and average price Sunday night in Central Kentucky. But not all the news was bad. The median increased, indicating a more healthy middle market. And the buy-back rate, while high, rose hardly at all from 2000.
At Bay Meadows Sunday, Irish-bred Blue Steller closed from last to win the $100,000 Bay Meadows Derby Handicap by 1 1/2 lengths.
Friday at Aqueduct
Gary A. Tanaka's Golden Apples earned her second win in three North American starts as she accelerated through the lane to earn a three-quarter length victory over Dancingonice on the $250,000 Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Sunday.
Starlight Stable's Ohio-bred Harlan's Holiday kept close to a brisk pace and drew away in the stretch to win Sunday's $113,200 Iroquois Stakes for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Riskaverse charged to the lead in mid-stretch and held on for a 1 1/4-length victory Sunday in the $86,700 Miss Grillo Stakes at Aqueduct.
A spill during the second race at Churchill Downs Sunday left one horse dead and two jockeys sent to the hospital as a precaution.
Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) winner Ethereal is the 4-1 morning-line favorite for Tuesday's two-mile Melbourne Cup (Aus-I), in which the hot Godolphin stable have two horses entered.
In a scene that may have more closely resembled the Oklahoma land rush or the opening of the holiday shopping season, crowds flocked to Churchill Downs on Saturday to seize vouchers for the track's giveaway of the highly prized Pat Day Bobble Heads.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle