State racing regulators have begun investigating a nasty new battle between the New York City Off Track Betting Corp. and Monticello Raceway and Vernon Downs after the big betting outfit suddenly stopped simulcasting races from the two upstate Standardbred tracks.
Ginger Welch, one of the leading jockeys at Les Bois Park, died after she was thrown by her horse, which then fell on her, during a race Saturday night. She was 37.
Champion steeplechase jockey Jonathan Kiser died Friday from injuries suffered in a fall at his family's home in Whiteford, Md.on Thursday. According to the Baltimore Sun, the 22-year-old Kiser fell from a rope swing in a tree and suffered a severe head injury.
Millionaire Manistique was purchased by Aaron and Marie Jones for $3-million to top Barretts Equine Ltd.'s first phase of the dispersal of the late Marshall Naify's 505 Farms.
Monmouth Park racing secretary Sean Greely assigned highweight of 123 pounds to Stronach Stable's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Red Bullet for the $1-million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) to be run at Monmouth August 6.
Allen E. Paulson, founder of the Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. whose Brookside Farms became one of North America's most successful racing and breeding entities of the 1980s and 1990s, died Wednesday in California after a lengthy illness. He was 78.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Mahoning Valley Announces Purse Increase