State racing regulators have begun investigating a nasty new battle between the New York City Off Track Betting Corp. and Monticello Raceway and Vernon Downs after the big betting outfit suddenly stopped simulcasting races from the two upstate Standardbred tracks.
Ginger Welch, one of the leading jockeys at Les Bois Park, died after she was thrown by her horse, which then fell on her, during a race Saturday night. She was 37.
Champion steeplechase jockey Jonathan Kiser died Friday from injuries suffered in a fall at his family's home in Whiteford, Md.on Thursday. According to the Baltimore Sun, the 22-year-old Kiser fell from a rope swing in a tree and suffered a severe head injury.
Millionaire Manistique was purchased by Aaron and Marie Jones for $3-million to top Barretts Equine Ltd.'s first phase of the dispersal of the late Marshall Naify's 505 Farms.
Monmouth Park racing secretary Sean Greely assigned highweight of 123 pounds to Stronach Stable's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Red Bullet for the $1-million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) to be run at Monmouth August 6.
Allen E. Paulson, founder of the Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. whose Brookside Farms became one of North America's most successful racing and breeding entities of the 1980s and 1990s, died Wednesday in California after a lengthy illness. He was 78.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint