The British Jockey Club has just amended its whip rules, recommending that jockeys, both in jump and Flat racing, carry whips that have shock-absorbing characteristics. The recommending of these whips is set to be the first step before it is made compulsory for jockeys to carry them as they do not mark horses. Leading jump jockeys are due to try out a new whip, modified by Robert Patton of Old Mill Saddlery, Northern Ireland, from the revolutionary Aircush whip which was launched in 1999,, within the next couple of weeks.
In the face of very strong competition, Giant's Causeway, second in the Nov. 4 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), has been named Horse of the Year at Europe's Cartier Awards dinner in London, England.
Tattersalls October Sale, traditionally the best barometer to the state of the European yearling market, didn't just surpass previous records -- it obliterated them.
Most Popular Stories
- Favorites Dominate on Louisiana Legends Night
- Jockey Gonzalez Posts Career Victory 3,000
- Nutan Easy Winner of German Derby
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- U.S. Pari-Mutuel Handle Down Slightly in June
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup