Ben P. Walden Jr. and his wife, Elaine, founders and former owners of Vinery, have a new venture. The couple purchased one of three tracts of land previously comprising Castleton Farm near Lexington, and plan to raise yearlings owned by them in partnership with Jim and Pat Bohanon on the 192-acre property.
Virginie, a winner of grade I races in both Brazil and the United States, has been retired due to a small bone chip in her left front foreleg. Richard Mandella, who trains Virginie for Rio Claro Thoroughbreds and R.D. Hubbard, apparently found some slight filling in the leg prior to her second-place finish in the March 26 Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), and had her further checked out following the race.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud
- Klimt to Stretch Out in FrontRunner