Ben P. Walden Jr. and his wife, Elaine, founders and former owners of Vinery, have a new venture. The couple purchased one of three tracts of land previously comprising Castleton Farm near Lexington, and plan to raise yearlings owned by them in partnership with Jim and Pat Bohanon on the 192-acre property.
Virginie, a winner of grade I races in both Brazil and the United States, has been retired due to a small bone chip in her left front foreleg. Richard Mandella, who trains Virginie for Rio Claro Thoroughbreds and R.D. Hubbard, apparently found some slight filling in the leg prior to her second-place finish in the March 26 Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), and had her further checked out following the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31