Ben P. Walden Jr. and his wife, Elaine, founders and former owners of Vinery, have a new venture. The couple purchased one of three tracts of land previously comprising Castleton Farm near Lexington, and plan to raise yearlings owned by them in partnership with Jim and Pat Bohanon on the 192-acre property.
Virginie, a winner of grade I races in both Brazil and the United States, has been retired due to a small bone chip in her left front foreleg. Richard Mandella, who trains Virginie for Rio Claro Thoroughbreds and R.D. Hubbard, apparently found some slight filling in the leg prior to her second-place finish in the March 26 Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), and had her further checked out following the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Plumptre Leaving Godolphin Australia Position
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Spendthrift Australia Schedules Stallion Parades
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell