Ben P. Walden Jr. and his wife, Elaine, founders and former owners of Vinery, have a new venture. The couple purchased one of three tracts of land previously comprising Castleton Farm near Lexington, and plan to raise yearlings owned by them in partnership with Jim and Pat Bohanon on the 192-acre property.
Virginie, a winner of grade I races in both Brazil and the United States, has been retired due to a small bone chip in her left front foreleg. Richard Mandella, who trains Virginie for Rio Claro Thoroughbreds and R.D. Hubbard, apparently found some slight filling in the leg prior to her second-place finish in the March 26 Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), and had her further checked out following the race.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic Endgame for Gun Runner in 2017
- Knee Chip Knocks El Areeb Off Derby Trail
- Baffert Could Send Three to Santa Anita Derby
- Sheikh Mohammed 'Definitely' Plans to Hike DWC Purse
- Del Mar Altering Main Track Banking and Grading
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Averill's R Angel Katelyn Set for Florida Cup Day
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Olorda Brings Back Class to Orchid Stakes
- Federal Bills Aim to Increase Industry Participation