Ben P. Walden Jr. and his wife, Elaine, founders and former owners of Vinery, have a new venture. The couple purchased one of three tracts of land previously comprising Castleton Farm near Lexington, and plan to raise yearlings owned by them in partnership with Jim and Pat Bohanon on the 192-acre property.
Virginie, a winner of grade I races in both Brazil and the United States, has been retired due to a small bone chip in her left front foreleg. Richard Mandella, who trains Virginie for Rio Claro Thoroughbreds and R.D. Hubbard, apparently found some slight filling in the leg prior to her second-place finish in the March 26 Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), and had her further checked out following the race.
Most Popular Stories
- MarketWatch: American Pharoah's Stud Value
- Love Me Only's First Foal a Stakes Winner
- American Pharoah Gallops at Churchill
- 16 Remain Engaged for Epsom Derby
- Frosted Continues Working Toward Belmont
- Golden Ray First Winner for American Lion
- Agency Selected to Market American Pharoah
- New York Dinner Benefits Grayson-Jockey Club
- Pletcher Horses Top Belmont Work Tab
- Blazing Speed to Try for Repeat in Hong Kong