The 5 percent increase will add an average of $13,500 per day to overnight race purses at Churchill Downs. The increase is the first for Churchill Downs since June 2000 and is due to record wagering on the 128th renewals of the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby and continued growth in out-of-state wagering on Churchill Downs races.
The increase will affect all overnight races, which include allowance, maiden special weight, claiming races and maiden claiming races. Purses for stakes races and purse supplements from the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) will not be affected by this increase.
Most Popular Stories
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win