Select Stable's Take Charge Lady, who finished second in the Kentucky Oaks and won the grade I Ashland Stakes, is expected to compete at Churchill Downs May 25 in the grade III Dogwood Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/16 miles.The Ken McPeek-trained filly breezed four furlongs in :49.20 under jockey Tony D'Amico at Churchill May 21. It was her first work since a planned trip to Pimlico Race Course for the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes was canceled when the filly was discovered to have mucous in her throat following a workout.An examination after the May 21 work revealed no problems. McPeek said all systems are go for the Dogwood."She has been doing well," McPeek said. "She has been eating good. I think it was, more than anything, just a change in the weather, and she just had some mucous in her lungs. We were glad to catch it before we went up there. You obviously don't want to run bad."The Kentucky Oaks was the primary goal for Take Charge Lady in the first half of the year. Her runner-up finish to Farda Amiga in the grade I event was a disappointment for McPeek, but he believes his filly remains at the top of her division.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Wildcat Red Stretches Speed Toward Classics
- KEEP Opposes Open-Ended Gambling Measure
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome