NBC Plans 16 Hours of Belmont Coverage
Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner California Chrome runs for history, aiming to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978, as NBC Sports Group presents 16 hours of programming surrounding the 146th Belmont Stakes (gr. I), more than double the number of hours initially scheduled.
Coverage from Belmont Park begins at 5 p.m. EDT Friday, June 6, on NBCSN, and culminates with the running of the 146th Belmont Stakes Saturday, June 7, at 4:30 p.m. EDT on NBC. NBC plans to offer coverage of other grade I races from Belmont Park.
Highlights of NBC Sports Groups' Belmont coverage include:
• Live coverage of every Saturday race in NBC/NBCSN telecast windows, including "Breeders' Cup Challenge Series: Win & You're In" races the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) and the Ogden Phipps Stakes (gr. I), as well as the Manhattan Handicap (gr. I).
• California Chrome: The Unlikely Champion, a special 30-minute documentary narrated by Bob Costas.
• Three hours of Belmont Classics - highlighting past Belmont Stakes winners.
• A feature on California Chrome's journey to the Triple Crown.
• Josh Elliott takes a look at Triple Crown spoilers of years past, including three consecutive Triple Crown upsets: 2002 winner Sarava (beat Triple Crown hopeful War Emblem), 2003 winner Empire Maker ridden by NBC analyst and Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey (topped Triple Crown contender Funny Cide), and 2004 winner Birdstone (beat Triple Crown hopeful Smarty Jones).
• A feature on the team of co-owners Steve Coburn and Perry Martin coming together with trainer Art Sherman and jockey Victor Espinoza to take their horse to the brink of the Triple Crown.
• Bob Costas' essay on the elusive Triple Crown.
Copyright © 2015 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.