Churchill to Add Jackpot-Type Wager
Churchill Downs will debut a 50-cent "Single 6 Jackpot," a multi-race wager with a big-payout dynamic, when racing returns to the Louisville racetrack for its 25-day fall meet Oct. 27.
Bettors that have the highest number of winners in the six-race sequence will equally share 80% of the net money wagered into the pool, minus takeout. The remaining 20% of the net pool, however, will carry to the Single 6 Jackpot if there are multiple winning wagers with six winners placed at the required 50-cent minimum bet value.
The Single 6 Jackpot will be paid out only if there is a single winning wager with six winners placed at the required minimum bet value.
Again, there can be only one winning wager for the jackpot to be paid. If a bettor hits the Single 6 Jackpot twice on one ticket, meaning he or she "scratched into the favorite" and used both horses in the race; or used two horses in a race and they finished in a dead-heat; or played the same 50-cent ticket twice for a total of $1, he or she is not eligible for the jackpot aspect. There can only be a single winning wager placed at the required minimum bet value for the jackpot to be paid.
The low probability of a single winning wager means there's a high chance for the jackpot to grow daily and reach lottery-like levels, which creates tremendous excitement and the possibility of a financial windfall and score of a lifetime.
There is one exception: the jackpot must be paid out on the final day of the five-week meet (Nov. 30), which means all money, including the jackpot, will be distributed that day to those with the highest number of winners in the six-race sequence.
The new wager is similar to other variations of the Pick 6 that offer jackpots with a unique carryover aspect. However, Churchill Downs' Single 6 Jackpot features a more bettor-friendly 80/20 split of the net pool compared to the 60/40 distribution in some jurisdictions.
Because there is a unique carryover facet, there will be no minor consolation payoffs when there are multiple winning wagers with six winners.
Churchill Downs received approval to offer the wager to bettors during a Kentucky Horse Racing Commission meeting in Lexington Oct. 22.
The Single 6 Jackpot wager will be offered daily on Races 3-8.
Copyright © 2015 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.