McPeek Plans to Start Frac Daddy in Belmont
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 6/3/2013 3:46:35 PM
Last Updated: 6/5/2013 1:14:13 PM

Frac Daddy
Order This Photo

Photo: Chad Harmon

Trainer Ken McPeek confirmed  June 3 that Magic City Thoroughbred Partners' Frac Daddy will run in the June 8 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park.

McPeek said the Scat Daddy   colt, who finished 16th in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) will fly to New York from Kentucky June 4 and be ridden in the third leg of the Triple Crown by jockey Alan Garcia.

"Talking to Carter Stewart, the principal partner for Magic City, he's game, you know?" McPeek said. "We still believe this is a really, really good horse, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened for him. Sometimes you throw deep and it goes incomplete, but you can't score if you don't throw. (Stewart) is the ideal client to throw deep and we won the Travers (gr. I) for him last year (with dead-heat winner Golden Ticket)."

Frac Daddy, who descends from the same female family as 1997 Delaware Handicap (gr. III) winner Power Play, has one win in seven career starts. He broke his maiden in his second start in November at Churchill Downs, and then finished second in the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II). He finished second in this year's Arkansas Derby (gr. I).

"I do believe the horse will run well," McPeek said of the plan to go in the Belmont. "I think the pace in the Belmont will suit him well, too. He drew outside in the Derby and couldn't get position, and I don't think he handled the slop. He's worked on a dry track a couple times recently and worked freaky good. I think he's got a big shot at it."

In other Belmont news:

• Trainer Todd Pletcher reported the morning of June 3 that all five of his Belmont Stakes hopefuls were "A-OK" following their breezes June 2. Pletcher will saddle WinStar Farm's Revolutionary, Dogwood Stable's Palace Malice, and Mike Repole's Overanalyze, Midnight Taboo, and Unlimited Budget   in the 1 1/2-mile race.

• Incognito, fifth in the Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II), also emerged from his Sunday workout in good shape, according to Art Magnuson, assistant to trainer Kiaran McLaughlin.

• Trainer Dominick Schettino said he and owners Anthony and MaryEllen Bonomo will make a final decision on Always in a Tiz's status for the Belmont by the afternoon of June 4. Schettino and the Bonomos will choose either the Belmont Stakes or the $150,000 Easy Goer Stakes on the Belmont undercard.

• As many as 15 horses could end up contesting the 2013 Belmont Stakes.

• Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey said Kentucky Derby winner Orb   was maintaining good form the morning after the colt breezed four furlongs, his final major work prior to the Belmont. "He came out of his work good, ate up good, walked this morning, seems to be fine," said McGaughey, who trains the son of Malibu Moon   for Stuart S. Janney III and Phipps Stable.

• D. Wayne Lukas' Belmont Stakes contenders Oxbow   and Will Take Charge remain scheduled to arrive at Belmont Park via van Monday evening.

• Monday morning rain prompted trainer Rudy Rodriguez to push back Vyjack's scheduled breeze to June 4. Instead, the gelding galloped 1 1/2 miles over the Belmont main track with Rodriguez aboard. "He jogged a bit and galloped the wrong way," said Rodriguez. "He was acting up a little bit and I didn't want him fighting me, so I opened him up a little bit. He seems good."



Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

SUBSCRIBE to The Blood-Horse magazine TODAY!