After finishing off the board in her two most recent starts, grade II winner Funnys Approval will try to return to top form when she faces an expected six other fillies and mares in the $100,000 Winning Colors Stakes (gr. III) on Memorial Day May 27 at Churchill Downs.
A homebred for Bobby Rankin, Funnys Approval opened the season with a victory in the Barbara Fritchie Handicap (gr. II) at Laurel Park. She has since finished off the board in the Ruffian Handicap (gr. II) April 6 at Aqueduct Racetrack and the Skipat Stakes May 17 at Pimlico Race Course.
Trainer Jose Lopez has opted for a quick racing return for Funnys Approval after the 4-year-old Outrageouslyfunny filly placed fifth in the six-furlong Skipat. She will try six furlongs again in the Winning Colors, which will be her first career start at Churchill.
While Funnys Approval tries to turn things around off a short rest, Vuitton will try to continue her roll after a rest of more than six weeks. A 4-year-old Smart Strike filly, Vuitton extended her win streak to three when she won the six-furlong Carousel Stakes by a nose April 11 at Oaklawn Park.
Beat the Blues, who finished second in the Carousel, also will make her first start since then.
$100,000 Winning Colors Stakes (gr. III, race 10, approximate post time 5:30 p.m. EDT) F&M, 3YO&Up, 6 furlongs
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer
1. Funnys Approval (KY), M. Pedroza, 122, J. Lopez
2. Vuitton (KY), A. Garcia, 120, S. Asmussen
3. Beat the Blues (FL), M. Mena, 120, W. Calhoun
4. Judy the Beauty (ON), J. Moreira, 120, W. Ward
5. Holiday Soiree (KY), C. Lanerie, 120, T. McCauley
6. Blueeyesintherain (KY), L. Goncalves, 116, G. Simms
7. Burban (KY), S. Bridgmohan, 120, E. Kenneally