The Barretts January mixed sale will include 44 horses as part of the reduction of the Craig Family Trust, many of which are by or in foal to Candy Ride , a leading young sire who raced for Jenny and the late Sid Craig.
The unbeaten grade I winner by Ride the Rails has gotten off to an excellent start at stud as the sire of 2009 grade I winners Capt. Candyman Can and Evita Argentina. He also is the sire of graded stakes winner Chocolate Candy, by Candy Ride, who raced for Jenny Craig.
The Craig horses, which will sell without reserve, are consigned by agent Grant Hofmans.
Barretts has cataloged 518 horses for the sale, which will be conducted in the Hinds Pavilion on the grounds of Fairplex Park in Southern California Jan. 25 and 26. The auction will start at 11 a.m. (PST) each day.
Candy Ride will be represented by 10 horses of racing, seven 2-year-olds, eight yearlings, and six broodmares in foal to him.
The Craig mare in foal to Candy Ride are:
• Two half-sisters Chocolate Candy: Danzing Crown, a 13-year-old mare by Danzig; and Gentlemen’s Crown, a 6-year-old winning daughter of Gentlemen carrying her first offspring;
• Golden Arches, a 16-year-old graded/group stakes winner by Common Grounds;
• Magnificent Val, an 11-year-old stakes-winning mare by Pioneering;
• Pride of Pegasus, a 6-year-old daughter of Fusaichi Pegasus ; and
• Seeking Results, a 9-year-old mare by Seeking the Gold, a half-sister to grade I winner River Keen.