From The Saratoga Special, reprinted with permissionOverheard
"Kids, say goodbye to the horses for this year. If Daddy would have picked the two in the last race instead of the three, you could come back again this year."
Dad pushing a stroller out of the racesName of the Day
Taking Sides (second race). By Chief's Crown out of Palace Revolt.Music Race
At the mid point of the Meet, The Special has observed the various music groups that appear at the new Pagoda located just behind the grandstand near the Carvel Ice Cream booth. Even though there's no official contest for the "Battle of the Bands." The Special has undertaken the task to rank the participants.Based on the number of fans gathered around the Pagoda and their enthusiastic response to the great music, (provided courtesy of NYRA), the leading contenders for the title of most popular group are (in The Special's opinion), in no particular order:
- Vivid. Featuring the lead singer who's a Stevie Nicks sound-a-like. Website: www.vividrocks.com
- Aged in the Hills. Perennial favorite at the Spa, and this year adding the 10-year-old daughter of the lead singer, (no relation to 10-year-old John's Call).
- Bobby Dick and The Sundowners. Everything from The Beach Boys to Phish.
- Ernie Williams and The Wildcats. The 78-year-old Williams, like the EverReady Bunny, just keeps on going with his great Blues sounds.
- Tony's Polka Band. The surprise long shot who garnered big crowds dancing to Polkas, Waltzes and the Chicken Dance from a group of mostly youngsters who would definitely be carded at The Parting Glass.
– Tom CoyleWeather
Wednesday: Sunny. High around 81F. Light NW winds.Wednesday night: Clear. Low around 60F. Calm winds.Thursday (24 hours): Sunny. Skies becoming partly cloudy with scattered showers late. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.Friday (24 hours): Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s.Contact Sean Clancy via e-mail at email@example.com or telephone at 518-581-1947.