Rating comfortably behind the leaders for jockey Olivier Peslier, Goldikova took command after six furlongs and held off the determined bid of Darjina to win by a half-length.
The improving Paco Boy was a fast-closing third, one length behind Darjina. Final time for the eight furlongs was 1:36.70 over a course rated as good to soft.
Dual classic winner Henrythenavigator clearly did not handle the soft going and struggled home in fifth under Johnny Murtagh.
Trainer Aidan O’Brien told reporters after the race, “It was really a last minute decision (to run) and a very close one, as he loves fast ground. The top was coming off in today’s race and it blunted his speed, which is his biggest asset.”
O’Brien continued, “He could never engage top gear and couldn’t get hold of the turf. We’ll now have a look at the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) at Ascot. His only three defeats have come on similar ground to this.”
Head was understandably proud of his 3-year-old filly. “With Goldikova and Tamayuz in my stable, I probably have the two best 3-year-old milers in Europe, and I am very lucky to have such horses under my care,” he told the press.
Regarding future plans for the filly, Head mentioned a possible start in the Sentient Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. IT) or the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT) at Santa Anita.
Goldikova races for her breeders, Alain and Gerard Wertheimer. The bay filly is by Anabaa, out of the Blushing Groom mare, Born Gold.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick