The beautifully bred To Be Surprised, by Arrowfield Stud's most expensive stallion Redoute's Choice and from the great producer Patrona, was offered i -foal to New Zealand's multiple champion sire Zabeel. On the track herself, To Be Surprised (consigned by Racetree as agent) won three times in Sydney during her brief career.
Commenting on the purchase, Patinack's racing manager Rick Connelly said: "She is a really wonderful prospect. We're getting together a great lineup of mares and To Be Surprised will fit in nicely. We will get her home and then decide which of our stallions she will visit."
Overall at the Magic Millions August Sale, 129 horses sold for a record Aus$3,709,800 (up 605% on last year's 121 sold for $525,575). The $28,758 average was up 664% (last year $4,344) and the clearance rate was 87% (last year 80%).
Magic Millions managing director David Chester added: "Breeders and vendors are now realizing that sales such as this are a fantastic place to offer their quality stock and their entries are competed over strongly by astute buyers. To have a broodmare sell for $1.3 million was a real highlight: a mare with her page and covering is rarely offered in this part of the world."
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Parranda Seeks More Gulf Glory in Honey Fox
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback