A quarter crack has kept Precious Kitten on the sidelines since her powerful 2 1/4-length victory in the May 26 Gamely (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park, but trainer Bobby Frankel says the morning line favorite for the Beverly D. Aug. 9 is fit and ready to go.
“The quarter crack is fine now, and she has been working super,” said Frankel, who won the Beverly D. with Possibly Perfect in 1995 and Heat Haze in 2003. “I just hope she didn’t work a little too fast the other day [six-furlong turf breeze in 1:14 4/5 around the dogs at Saratoga on July 28]. That’s how good she’s doing.”
The daughter of Catienus, who races for Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stable, has made just one start in career beyond nine furlongs, resulting in an eighth-place finish in the 11-furlong Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT). She was virtually eliminated from contention at Monmouth Park that day after being carried out by a wayward horse.
So the Beverly D., which is contested at 1 3/16 miles, remains something of an open question.
“Well see on Saturday,” said Frankel. “If she can handle the mile and three-sixteenths, then she’ll only have a sixteenth of a mile more to go in the Breeders’ Cup.”
The 2008 Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf on Oct. 24 at Santa Anita will be run at 1 1/4 miles, the race’s traditional distance.
Frankel is to arrive to Arlington Park the morning of the race. He also saddles Sudan in the Arlington Million (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online