Peppers Pride was to have pursued the modern day North American mark in the $55,000 event on July 27, but the track was forced to postpone its Zia Festival program after remnants of Hurricane Dolly dumped six inches of rain on the area.
“It depends on if we get to train between now and then," trainer Joel Marr said of the possibility that the 5-year-old New Mexico-bred mare will go for the record this weekend. "If we don’t have a place to train, we can’t run.”
Peppers Pride has never raced on an off-track. Last week, Marr mentioned the $50,000 Carlos Salazar at 6 1/2 furlongs at the Downs at Albuquerque on Aug. 17 as a likely option for Peppers Pride's next start should the weather force him to scratch her from the six-furlong Lincoln.
The track flooded two years ago, but Marr said this time is far worse.
“The race track is a river. I’ve never seen it like this here,” he said.
Peppers Pride shares the record of 16 straight victories with Triple Crown winner Citation, two-time Horse of the Year Cigar, Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Mister Frisky and Louisiana-based sprinter Hallowed Dreams.
Owned by her breeder, Joe Allen, Peppers Pride has not raced since tying the record April 26 in the Foutz Distaff Handicap at SunRay Park. A lifetime earner of $861,665, she has never raced outside New Mexico and each of her victories has come against female New Mexico-bred competition, including 12 stakes wins.
Peppers Pride has been stabled at Ruidoso Downs for the past two months. Marr noted that she has already missed training time over the past three weeks because of weather conditions.
Most Popular Stories
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes