The pair had last met June 6 in the Juddmonte Coronation Cup (Eng-I), with Soldier of Fortune coming out on top by the same margin.
Richard Hughes settled Youmzain in mid-division as Song of Hiawatha and Sommertag set a strong pace on the front end. Soldier of Fortune, under Christophe Soumillon, tracked the front pair from sixth.
Youmzain took command with two furlongs to go, and had plenty left to hold off the late charge of Soldier of Fortune. Globe-trotting Doctor Dino rallied for third, another three lengths back.
Time for the 12 furlongs was 2:28.20 over a course rated as good to soft.
Treat Gently Wraps Up Great Weekend for broodmare Kerali
Khalid Abdullah’s 3-year-old filly Treat Gently hung on for a game nose victory over Leo’s Starlet in the Prix de Malleret (Fr-II) at Saint-Cloud June 29.
The Andre Fabre-trained daughter of Cape Cross now has won two of four lifetime starts.
Treat Gently’s victory made it a great weekend for the blue hen mare Kerali. On Saturday, her granddaughter Promising Lead (Danehill-Arrive, by Kahyasi) captured the Audi Pretty Polly Stakes (Ire-I) at the Curragh for Sir Michael Stoute.
Treat Gently’s dam, Kid Gloves (by In the Wings) is a stakes winning half-sister to both Arrive and Hasili (dam of champions Banks Hill, Intercontinental, and Dansili). Another half-sister, Dissemble (by Ahonoora), has produced turf champion Leroidesanimaux.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury