Toomey, a spokesman for NYSRWB, said June 23 that the privileges were taken away from Micallef “last week.” Toomey offered no further comment. Micallef said he had “no comment” when reached by phone June 23.
Earlier this month, Micallef and Matt Muzikar, the agent for Eibar Coa, were involved in an altercation at Belmont. Muzikar was fined $1,000 by the stewards. Micallef was not.
Micallef has had a tremendously successful career as an agent. Before becoming Garcia’s agent, he booked mounts for Shaun Bridgmohan, Mike Luzzi, and Aaron Gryder. Micallef is married to the daughter of retired trainer Pete Ferriola.
Garcia, with Micallef as his agent, won the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr.I) aboard Lahudood at Monmouth Park last October.
Through June 23, the 22-year-old Garcia was second in the Belmont Park spring/summer standings with 36 wins to Coa’s 48.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail