Stonestreet Stable and Midnight Cry Stable’s 4-year-old son of Smart Strike breezed around 6:30 a.m. (EDT) and covered the distance over a “fast” track in 1:03.80. Regular exercise rider Carlos Rosas was in the saddle as Curlin covered the distance in fractions of :13.20, :26.20 :38.80, and :51:20. The Steve Asmussen-trained champion galloped out six furlongs in 1:17.
“He looked good,” Asmussen said.
Asmussen plans to work Curlin over Churchill Downs’ Matt Winn Turf Course next Tuesday, July 1, which would be a first step toward a possible trip to Paris for the Gran Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Oct. 5. Curlin has not run on the turf in his 12-race career, but should the colt display an affinity for the surface in that work Asmussen has said he would look for a race over the surface in mid-July.
Curlin has a record of 9-1-2 in 12 races and has earned $9,396,800.
Also working on Monday for Asmussen was Winchell Thoroughbreds’ Pyro, the winner of the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) and Northern Dancer (gr. III). The son of Pulpit breezed an easy four furlongs under Rosas in :53.60 under Roses. It was the colt’s first work since his Northern Dancer win at Churchill Downs on June 14. Asmussen has mentioned the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth Park as a likely spot for Pyro’s next race.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies