Walter Downey’s Pennsylvania-bred returned a nickel for each dollar wagered to win on him while completing the distance in 1:09.56 on a fast main track.
Trainer Todd Beattie conditions the 5-year-old Smart Strike gelding who won the Belmont Park's Vosburgh (gr. I) by nearly six lengths in his last start before going to the sidelines Sept. 30 .
Bred by Downey’s Tea Party Stable, Fabulous Strike won three of four starts in 2007, also taking the Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs in near track-record time for six furlongs, and the Panhandle Handicap at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort. Fabulous Strike won four stakes as a 3-year-old, two at Belmont and two at Mountaineer.
Fabulous Strike was confidently handled by Ramon Dominguez, who allowed the dark bay to set a quick pace of :22.60 for the opening quarter-mile and :45.68 for the half. Fabulous Strike drew off on his own leaving the turn to mid-stretch, then was ridden out to a 3 1/4-length triumph.
He returned $2.10 for his 10th lifetime win in 15 starts, bumping his career earnings to $677,832.
Joey Carson, with Jose Carabllo aboard, finished second, 12 3/4 lengths in front of The Vin Man. Cavallo Pazzo, Five Steps, Hombresactlikemens and Southern Missile all scratched.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Chad Brown Fillies Vie for Florida Oaks
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome