Sherman's suspension, which was imposed by stewards at Bay Meadows, began April 12 and runs through April 21, the CHRB said in a statement released April 18. Stewards originally suspended the 69-year-old trainer for 30 days as a result of the two Class 3 violations. The CHRB agreed to stay 20 days provided Sherman has no additional Class 1, 2 or 3 violations during a one-year probationary period.
Both Brahma Bull and Hatif exceeded the regulatory threshold of 37.0mml/l for TCO2, according to the CHRB. The presence of excess TCO2 in a horse's system, which is the result of giving sodium bicarbonate and electrolytes, is commonly referred to as a “milkshake.”
Brahma Bull finished second in the fourth race at Bay Meadows on Dec. 2, 2006. Hatif finished second in the 10th race at Golden Gate Fields on June 10, 2007.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online