Hibiscus Stables has announced an agreement with Ron Ellis to train its California-based horses as part of its West Coast expansion.
Ellis has been training horses since 1980. Among his best horses have been grade I winners I Ain't Bluffing, Pharma, Key Phrase, Twice the Vice, and Exotic Wood, as well as Kentucky Derby (gr. I) fourth-place finishers Atswhatimtalknbout and Don't Get Mad . He also trained 2-year-old champion Declan's Moon, undefeated in his first five starts before being injured while on the Kentucky Derby trail.
Hibiscus Stables CEO Mike Oliveto said, “We’ve got some aggressive plans for 2008 and establishing a presence in Southern California is one of them. There's world-class racing at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, and Del Mar. Ron has been a major presence on that circuit for decades and we couldn’t be more pleased to have him as part of the team. It’s crucial that we enter relationships with individuals that believe in our program and, like Steve Klesaris and Linda Rice, Ron is enthusiastic about what we’re doing. Like our other trainers, Ron was happy to take a 10% ownership interest in every horse he’s going to train for us. That’s a powerful statement in that he’s going to be a partner in these horses and that speaks volumes to his level of commitment.”
Ellis will begin by attending the Barretts sales in California this spring.
Hibiscus Stables is currently assembling members for new partnerships for the 2008 season.
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Looks Splendid in Las Flores
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe