A wide-open field of eight has been entered for Saturday's $150,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Drilling for Oil is a strong contender for the 1 ½-mile Pan American. The 5-year-old son of Giant's Causeway is owned by Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III.
Out of the Banner Sport mare Won't She Tell, Drilling for Oil finished fifth March 16 in the Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream and won the 2007 Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Pan American distance.
Joseph Joyce's Fracas, a 6-year-old son of In the Wings, is out of the Habitat mare Klarifi. He finished fourth in the March 8 Mervyn Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds. Fracas is trained by Barclay Tagg.
Dave, a 7-year-old gelding by Ends Well out of the Commandore C. mare Commandore's Gold, won the Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) last year. He is owned by Partingglass Stable and The Three Colleens Stable and is also trained by Tagg. Dave will break from post six.
Interpatation, a son of Langfuhr out of the Habitony mare Idealistic Cause, will be making his 2008 debut in the Pan American. The 6-year-old gelding won last year's Larry R. Riviello President's Cup on the turf at Philadelphia Park for a second year in a row. He was also third in the 2007 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. He is owned by Elliot Mavorah and trained by Robert Barbara.
$150,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 8, 4:42 p.m.)
4 & Up, 1 1/2 Miles
PP. Horse, Age, Jockey, Weight
1. Drilling for Oil (KY), 5, Manoel R. Cruz, 115
2. Notice Me Now (FL), 4, Jose Alberto Rivera II, 114
3. Ascertain (IRE), 7, Manueal Aguilar, 115
4. Fracas (IRE), 6, Eddie Castro, 116
5. Interpatation (KY), 6, Tom G. Turner, 114
6. Dave (KY), 7, A.R. Napravnik, 117
7. French Vintage (FL), 4, Junior Alvarado, 116
8. Presious Passion (FL), 5, Ariel Smith, 117
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014