Trainer Steve Asmussen, on hand at Keeneland for the work, said it “went excellent. It was exactly what we wanted to see and what we asked him for,” he added. “He was very comfortable over the track and we hope that continues.”
With regular exercise rider Dominic Terry aboard, Pyro recorded fractions of :26 2/5, :38 4/5, :50 4/5, and 1:02 2/5, galloping out six furlongs in 1:15 2/5.
A leading contender for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Pyro arrived at Keeneland last week from Asmussen’s winter base at Fair Grounds, where he scored impressive wins in the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) and Louisiana Derby (gr. II). The 3-year-old son of Pulpit will use the Toyota Blue Grass on April 12 as his final prep for the Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Using Bursography to Diagnose Palmar Foot Pain
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones