The 5-year-old son of Artax was purchased privately by Godolphin in September 2007, with his main goal being the six-furlong Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) on Mar. 29.
Diabolical captured his final North American start last July at Saratoga, winning the Alfred G. Vanderbilt H (gr. II) by a half-length over Attila’s Storm. In his first start for his new ownership, he overcame a poor start to finish a good fourth.
There would be no such excuses needed this time around, as Diabolical broke sharply under Kerrin McEvoy and sat just off the lead set by Sarissa and New Freedom. Diabolical took command with just under two furlongs left, and drew off to win comfortably under a hand ride.
Star Crowned got up for the second spot, a nose in front of New Freedom. Time for the six furlongs was 1:09.59.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree