The recent move brought Curlin’s total for the year to three works. Coming off an Oct. 27 victory in the Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I), he went four furlongs in :53.40 at Fair Grounds Jan. 6, then turned in a :51.20 effort going the same distance Jan. 12.
Asmussen has yet to speak of a potential start in 2008 for the colt, but a target has been confirmed for Curlin’s stablemate, Pyro, who will make his 3-year-old debut at Fair Grounds in the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 9.
The son of Pulpit, second to War Pass in the Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) last time out, worked five furlongs in 1:03.80 at Fair Grounds Jan. 18. He is an Eclipse Award finalist for 2-year-old male.
Also on the track was the Neil Howard-trained Grasshopper, who went six furlongs in 1:13.40. The 4-year-old Dixie Unioncolt was second to Street Sense in the 2007 Travers Stakes (gr. I) and second-place finisher in his last start, the Sept. 22 Super Derby (gr. II) at Louisiana Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset