Truly a Judge's last victory came in the San Gabriel Handicap (gr. III) on Jan. 1, 2005, at Santa Anita Park when the race was transferred from the grass to the main track. He also won the Native Diver Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park in 2004. Truly a Judge earned seven other black-type placings for owners Alan Aidekman, Gaylord Ailshie, and Tom Harris from 2003 to '05.
The Kentucky-bred dark bay son of Judge T C amassed earnings of $764,342 while winning 12 of 53 starts with eight seconds and 11 thirds. He was winless in four starts in 2007. The key to success for Truly a Judge, Bernstein said, was to allow him to run on the front end.
“We had him for six years and he leaves a big hole in the barn, because he was the favorite,” said Bernstein. “He was honest and genuine and he was a character to be around. We’re certainly going to miss him. It’s hard to replace one like that because we got him so cheaply and he became a graded stakes winner. He was a poor man’s Lava Man.”
Truly a Judge, bred by Robert and Bea Roberts, was retired to the California Equine Retirement Farm in Winchester.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online