The nominees were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the images and events that fans can choose from are:
* Barbaro is euthanized at the New Bolton Center due to complications from laminitis;
* Reigning Horse of the Year Invasor defeats Premium Tap to take the Dubai World Cup;
* Street Sense ends “Juvenile Jinx”, wins Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands going away under the jubilant Calvin Borel;
* Curlin catches Street Sense in the stretch to capture the Preakness Stakes;
* Still going strong at age 9, The Tin Man wins the Shoemaker Mile off an eight-month layoff;
* Rags to Riches outfights Curlin and becomes first filly in 102 years to win the Belmont Stakes;
* With trainer Doug O’Neill listening to the race call from a pub in Ireland, Lava Man comes on again in deep stretch to win his third consecutive Hollywood Gold Cup;
* Lawyer Ron overcomes wide journey from post 10 to capture the Whitney Handicap and break the Saratoga track record for a mile and one eighth;
* Racing legend John Henry dies at the Kentucky Horse Farm at the age of 32;
* Midnight Lute unleashes stunning rally to blow away his rivals in the TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint;
* Ginger Punch bulls her way through on the inside to win the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Distaff;
* Curlin runs down Lawyer Ron, Street Sense and Hard Spun en route to victory in the Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge.
The first-ever “NTRA Moment of the Year” was the touching scene involving Charismatic and jockey Chris Antley following the 1999 Belmont Stakes. The following year’s winner was the stretch run of the 2000 Breeders’ Cup Classic, which saw Tiznow hold on for a dramatic victory against Giant’s Causeway. Tiznow won again the following year as fans selected his stirring repeat victory in the Classic over Sakhee. In 2002, fans cited the passing of the last living Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew. In 2003, the popular Kentucky Derby win by Funny Cide was selected. Birdstone’s upset win in the Belmont Stakes over Smarty Jones took down top honors for 2004. In 2005, fans selected Afleet Alex’s spectacular victory in the 2005 Preakness Stakes. Last year voters chose Barbaro’s gallant struggle to recover from his Preakness injury while at the New Bolton Center.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year gives fans a voice and sense of ownership at the Eclipse Awards," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president of communications and industry relations. "It allows them to salute the people, horses and memories that make our sport so appealing. We look forward to seeing which Moment they select as this year’s winner."
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at www.ntra.com. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday, January 14, 2008. Void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. A complete set of rules is available online or by contacting NTRA Communications.
Most Popular Stories
- U.A.E. to Supply Horses for Chinese Race Day
- Special Post Time for Aqueduct on Wood Day
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Concert Added to Black-Eyed Susan Day Lineup
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS