Mario Pino is approaching a major personal milestone of 6,000 all time wins. Through Nov. 3, the jockey was at 5,998 wins.
Michael Pino, 44, a native of Wilmington, Del., had his first training win with Too Many Lovers at Atlantic City in 1983. Primarily a claiming conditioner during his career, Pino has been affiliated with owner Richard Englander. Boston Common, a $50,000 claim, won the Jerome Handicap (gr. II) for Pino and Englander at Belmont Park in 2002.
Pino has a 88-60-67 record with 404 starters in 2007 -- a 21% winning percentage -- with earnings of $2,067,232.
Kendrick Carmouche guided Super Bowl Sunday to victory as the 1-2 favorite in front-running style, winning the $5,000 claiming event by 1 1/2 lengths. The Elkstone Group owned the 3-year-old Florida bred who was claimed.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55