On-track handle soared by 12.18% over last year’s Belmont Park Fall total, from $30,557,666 with a daily average of $925,990, to $34,280,261 with a daily average of $1,038,796. The 2007 Belmont Park Fall races were bet enthusiastically at simulcast sites as well, as all-sources wagering rose 3.67% from $334,147,227 last fall to $346,423,312 this fall. Daily average all-sources handle was $10,497,676, up from $10,125,674.
Purses also were significantly higher at Belmont Park this fall. The meet’s gross purses of $21,719,940 represent an 11.81% rise over last year’s total of $19,425,186, for a daily average of $658,180, compared with $588,642 last fall.
Attendance figures also bucked national trends by registering significant gains—up 8.05% to 165,045 for the 33-day meet, compared with 152,743 for last year’s corresponding 33-day meet.
“We are pleased with our increase in purses, handle and attendance as we continue to outperform the industry. We look forward to a strong Aqueduct meet with the 12% increase in purses and a strong stakes program,” said a Belmont spokesman in a written release.
Most Popular Stories
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014