The victory marked the first stakes win for the Richard Hannon trainee, who entered the race off a third-place effort to City Leader in the Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes (Eng-II) Sept. 29. Before that, he was a good second to McCartney in the listed Weatherbys Bank Stonehenge Stakes in August. McCartney is slated to run in the upcoming Darley Dewhurst Stakes (Eng-I) Oct. 20.
Jockey Ryan Moore kept Scintillo settled mid-pack as Gladiatorus, under Frankie Dettori, went to the lead and led the field through the first six furlongs. Moore went to work on Scintillo with three furlongs left, and the pair assumed command with just over two furlongs to go.
Gladiatorus fought back but was no match for the winner, who won the race while being geared down by his jockey. Farrel got up for third, 1 3/4-lengths behind Gladiatorus. Time for the eight furlongs was 1:38.2.
Scintillo is out of the Thatching mare, Danseuse du Soir. The Gran Criterium victory by Scintillo marked the first group I winner for his sire, Fantastic Light.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory