The outcome was not without a bit of controversy, however, as favored Proviso got squeezed between Listen and Kotsi early in the race, and was checked sharply. Jockey Stephane Pasquier had to drop Proviso to the back of the field and ease her to the outside to make her run.
Longshot Kay Es Jay set the pace as Johnny Murtagh held Listen in fifth, only a few lengths off the leader. Saoirse Abu, a dual group I winner in Ireland this season, raced in second during the early stages of the race. Jockey Kevin Manning moved the daughter of Mr. Greeley to the lead two furlongs out, and the pair appeared on their way to victory.
Both Listen and Proviso were making their moves at this point, with Listen taking command with just over a furlong left. Stephane Pasquier had Proviso in full flight on the outside, but the Juddmonte filly had too much to overcome and came up short, one length behind Listen.
Saoirse Abu held on for third, 2 1/2-lengths behind Proviso. Final time for the mile was 1:43.3 over the soft turf course.
Listen is by Sadler’s Wells out of Brigid, by Irish River. She hails from the immediate female family of stakes winners Sequoyah, Henrythenavigator, and Saffron Walden. She was bred in Ireland by Brittas House Stud, and is owned by Derrick Smith, Susan Magnier, and Michael Tabor.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay