The win at Newbury reversed the form shown by Dark Angel just eight days ago, when the 2-year-old colt finished a well-beaten seventh in the Polypipe Flying Childers Stakes (Eng-II) at Doncaster. Despite that result, the gray son of Acclamation was installed as the 9-4 favorite over Richmond Stakes (Eng-II) winner Strike The Deal.
Jockey Michael Hills sent Dark Angel immediately to the front at the break, and despite repeated challenges from Strike The Deal throughout the final furlong, the pair easily held that one at bay to win by a neck.
Berbice got up for third, three-quarters of behind Strike The Deal. Time for the six furlongs was 1:11.68 over the good to firm turf.
Dark Angel is out of theMachiavellian mare, Midnight Angel. He is trained by Barry Hills for owners Mrs. J. M. Corbett and C. Wright.
Most Popular Stories
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- Gulfstream Uses Graded Stakes Testing Fund
- Jezki Wins Cheltenham's Champion Hurdle
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014