The 2-year-old colt made a wide, sweeping move to pass his seven opponents in the final two furlongs to win easily by three-quarters of a length over Great Barrier Reef.
Jockey Jamie Spencer dropped the son of Carson City to the back of the field after the break, and was content to track the leaders during the early stages of the six-furlong contest.
Art Advisor and Nacho Libre set the quick early pace up front, with favorite Swiss Franc running just behind them in third. Swiss Franc joined the leaders with two furlongs left, and appeared poised to assume command.
Great Barrier Reef and Sir Gerry were rolling from the back of the pack by this time, however, with Sir Gerry showing a quicker turn of foot to drive past the leaders to win going away.
Great Barrier Reef, a first-time starter from the Aidan O'Brien stable, was impressive in defeat, considering he missed the break. He made up several lengths on the outside, only to be passed by Sir Gerry within the final furlong.
Swiss Franc held on for third, three lengths further back. Final time for the six furlongs was 1:14.16.
Sir Gerry is out of Incredulous, by Indian Ridge. James Fanshawe trains the chestnut colt for Mr. and Mrs. Gerry Galligan. Sir Gerry was bred in Kentucky by Dr. Catherine Wills.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick