Laverock, a 5-year-old son of Octagonal owned by Godolphin, took an early lead under Frankie Dettori in the 1 1/2-mile contest, but he was unable to withstand the challenge of the Peter Rau-trained Saddex, who took command with five furlongs left to run.
Saddex powered away under jockey Torsten Mundry to win easily over First Stream. Bussoni finished third, another half-length further back.
Final time for the 12 furlongs was 2:30.7 over a turf course rated soft.
Saddex is a 4-year-old colt by Sadler’s Wells out of Remote Romance, by Irish River. He was bred in England by the Niarchos family, and was sold as a yearling at the October 2004 Deauville sale.
Remote Romance is a winning half-sister to group I/grade I winners Chimes of Freedom and Denon. Champions Spinning World and Aldebaran also hail from this tremendous female family.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH