With the win, Soldier Hollow became just the second horse since World War II to win two editions of the race.
Soldier Hollow, who was Germany’s Horse of the Year in 2005, stalked the hot pace set by Sommertag, as that one led the field by eight lengths at one point. Formal Decree, ridden by Kerrin McEvoy for Godolphin, took over the lead from a tiring Sommertag with two furlongs left.
Soldier Hollow and rider Andrasch Starke were just getting into gear, however, and assumed command with just over a furlong left. The pair pulled away in the stretch to win by three lengths over Formal Decree, who held on for second by a head over the filly Dominante.
The victory marked Soldier Hollow’s 12th win in 30 lifetime starts. Altogether, the 7-year-old has been in the money 21 times in his career.
Soldier Hollow is a bay horse by In the Wings, out of Island Race, by Common Grounds. He is trained by Peter Schiergen for owner Helmut von Finck.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru