Exercise rider Lauren Robson thought something felt wrong after galloping Rags to Riches into the work and breaking off slowly at the five-furlong pole. According to DRF, Robson pulled Rags to Riches up after going a sixteenth of a mile.
"Lauren said she started off the breeze and something didn't feel right so she pulled her up," trainer Todd Pletcher told the publication. "I don't know if she stepped on something. . . . But when we got over there she was fine, we got her back [to the barn] she’s fine. We jogged her up and down the shed row and she was fine, but we’ll give it a day or two to make sure everything’s OK."
Pletcher said he would have the filly examined by Dr. Steve Allday Monday at Belmont Park, at which time the trainer will decide whether Rags to Riches will ship to Saratoga on Tuesday or remain at Belmont. "Classify it as a head-scratcher, I guess," Pletcher said. "I just don't know."
The first filly in 102 years to win the Belmont Stakes, Rags to Riches is being pointed toward the Alabama Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 18. She spiked a fever last week and was scratched from a scheduled start in the Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) July 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity