Closers have won just five of 32 turf route races at the meet thus far, according to the Daily Racing Form. Add to that the fact that Dreadnaught has been coming up short in recent efforts and the slump of jockey Jean Luc Samyn (4% winners from 194 mounts in 2007), and you have what could be a vulnerable favorite at morning line odds of 7-2.
Giant Wrecker, to be ridden by Ramon Dominguez for trainer Mark Hennig, would appear to have the better opportunity from a pace perspective. And Giant Wrecker is coming off a second-place finish in the Miami Beach Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder on April 28.
The Irish-bred Ballast, with three wins in his last seven starts, all on turf, including the Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder in December, sports a solid upset chance.
$100,000 Susses Stakes (Race 8, 3:54 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. MTO--Blue Finally (KY), Ramon A. Dominguez, 117, 15/1
2. Ballast (IRE), Jeremy Rose, 117, 12/1
3. Tune of the Spirit (FL), Roberto E. Alvarado, Jr., 117, 15/1
4. Dreadnaught (KY), Jean-Luc Samyn, 117, 7/2
5. Stay Close (GB), Kendrick Carmouche, 121, 8/1
6. Smart Growth (KY), Mario G. Pino, 117, 10/1
7. Giant Wrecker (KY), Ramon A. Dominguez, 117, 9/2
8. Giant Basil (FL), no rider, 119, 5/1
9. Wood Be Willing (KY), Jose C. Caraballo, 119, 10/1
10. Pa Pa Da (NY), Mario G. Pino, 117, 15/1
11. Gray Suitor (KY), Jeremy Rose, 117, 10/1
12. MTO--Starcastic (NY), Carlos H. Marquez, Jr., 117, 15/1
13. MTO--Evil Storm (MD), no rider, 117, 12/1