Matz, who saddled Lael Stable’s Barbaro to win the 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), thinks that the son of Cherokee Run will emerge as one of America’s outstanding 3-year-olds by the end of the season.
“He’s yet to prove it, but if he keeps improving the way he does he could be that type of horse,” said Matz. “He’s been very consistent and I think he’ll try whatever he can do. Whether it’s good enough, we’ll have to find out.”
Ramon Dominguez rides Chelokee, who will carry 120 pounds and break from post seven as the 2-1 morning line favorite.
Chelokee faces a field that includes a pair of horses that competed in the Kentucky Derby. Starlight Stable and Donald Lucarelli’s Sam P. (3-1) finished ninth in the “Run for the Roses” for trainer Todd Pletcher, while Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC’s Zanjero (4-1) checked in 12th for trainer Steve Asmussen.
Another major contender is Patricia Blass’ Prom Shoes, a son of Include who finished a nose behind Sightseeing in the Peter Pan (gr. II) at Belmont Park. The William “Jinks” Fires trainee had finished a troubled fourth in his previous outing on the Derby trail.
$200,000 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III, Race 7, 4:17 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Loose Leaf (KY), Robby Albarado, 116, 8/1
2. Zanjero (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 116, 4/1
3. Portobello Road (KY), Calvin H. Bore, 15/1l
4. Prom Shoes (KY), Edgar S. Prado, 116, 5/2
5. True Competitor (KY), Rafael Bejarano, 116, 12/1
6. Tsali (KY), Corey S. Nakatani, 116, 20/1
7. Chelokee (KY), Ramon A. Dominguez, 120, 2/1
8. Sam P. (KY), John R. Velazquez, 116, 3/1
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident