O'Neill Duo Part of Full Dozen for Senorita
The Senorita, the first local prep for the $750,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on the Hollywood lawn on July 7, will be run at one mile on turf. It drew a field of a dozen 3-year-old fillies.
"Both have been training great and both drew well," said O'Neill Thursday. Courtwood drew the rail and Super Freaky post four.
Super Freaky, a Florida-bred daughter of Smart Strike , seeks her third straight stakes victory on grass after scores in the La Habra and Providencia (gr. IIIT) this season at Santa Anita. She won the Providencia on April 7 by three-quarters of a length over Senorita rival Passified at odds of nearly 9-1. Courtwood was a closing fourth in the Providencia.
Suarez Racing and Alex A. Venneri own Super Freaky, who has banked $202,200 while winning three of five on the grass.
O'Neill said the running styles of the fillies do not clash. "Super Freaky lays close up and Courtwood comes from the clouds."
The Irish-bred Valbenny, the favorite in the Providencia, was outrun early in that one-mile event before finishing an even sixth for trainer Paddy Gallagher. She won the one-mile Miesque Stakes with a late charge on the Hollywood lawn as a juvenile last fall.
$100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 4:20 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 Mile (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Courtwood (GB), 117, Victor Espinoza
2. Mpumalanga (GB), 115, Michael C. Baze
3. Macadamia (KY), 115, Brice Blanc
4. Super Freaky (FL), 121, Jon K. Court
5. Passified (GB), 121, Mike E. Smith
6. Big Bertha (GER), 115, David Cohen
7. Honnete (FL), 119, David R. Flores
8. Valbenny (IRE), 121, Alex O. Solis
9. Seaside Affair (KY), 117, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
10. Adoradora (KY), 117, Jorge F. Chavez
11. My Little Margie (KY), 117, Corey S. Nakatani
12. Forest Huntress (KY), 117, Richard Migliore
Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.