A lot has changed for Rosie Napravnik, who turned 19 in early February, since she suffered three compression fractures in the thoracic region of her back in a spill at Laurel Park on Jan. 26. She announced April 4 that she has changed agents and will be moving her tack to Delaware Park upon her return.
“My back has been feeling fine since the first couple of weeks,” Napravnik said. “I really haven’t had any pain in my back. The doctor said it takes 12 weeks to heal and I go back to him on April 18th. Hopefully I can get on horses on the 19th and be back two weeks later but that will depend on how my back feels and how my fitness is.”
Last year, the New Jersey native won 259 races at Laurel Park and Pimlico and dominated the riding colony by capturing titles at all four meets at the major Maryland tracks: Laurel Park winter (99 wins), Pimlico spring (56), Laurel summer (12) and Laurel fall (92).
But she has decided to hire the Mid-Atlantic’s top agent Steve Rushing and head to Delaware Park for its seven-month meet. Rushing, best known for bringing Edgar Prado to Maryland from New England in 1989, has represented Ramon Dominguez since 2000 while that rider racked up riding titles at Pimlico, Laurel Park and Delaware Park.
“I have been looking for a little more of a challenge,” said Napravnik, who won 300 races in 2006 and was runner-up for the Eclipse Award for outstanding apprentice. “Delaware has a stronger colony and I have an opportunity to work with a very good agent. I’ll learn a lot more up there.”
Napravnik currently has 387 career victories with $8 million in earnings.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- First NH Winner for Southwestern Heat
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand
- Turfway Adds Starter Handicap Honoring Hansen
- Expanded State-Bred Incentives at Arlington
- Tony Ryan Book Award Semi-Finalists Announced