Elizabeth Valando's 3-year-old homebred Nobiz Like Shobiz turned in his final workout at Gulfstream Park before heading north in a few days for his engagement in the $750,000 Wood Memorial (gr. I) at Aqueduct on Saturday.
The winner of the $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) on Feb. 3, ‘Nobiz’ was timed five furlongs in :59 3/5 and galloped out six furlongs in 1:13 under his regular jockey Cornelio Velasquez.
“I can't do much more now except get out there and ride him myself,” said trainer Barclay Tagg after the early morning drill in which the son of Albert the Great performed solo while wearing blinkers. “He's done everything I've asked.”
Tagg says Nobiz Like Shobiz will fly to New York Thursday. He also said there were only a few surprises in the outcome of the previous day's Florida Derby (gr. I) won by Scat Daddy. Nobiz Like Shobiz finished third in the Fountain of Youth (gr. II), a little more than a half-length behind Scat Daddy and Stormello on Mar. 3.
“I wasn't surprised to see Scat Daddy run well,” said Tagg. “I thought Notional would run well (second place) and he did. I thought Stormello (fourth place) would run well and it wasn't as good for him. I've known the whole time we were going to the Wood. I was concerned about running in the heat down here. It turned out to be OK, but I'm sure about our plan.”
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog