The 2-year-olds will sell first, beginning at 1 p.m. eastern time. A preview show of the youngsters will be held March 17. The older horses will follow.
The size of the catalog is an increase of 40% from a year ago.
The sale offers a pair of $100,000 races restricted to 2-year-olds who pass through the sale ring. Last year’s races were won by Miss Atlantic City (by Stormy Atlantic ) and Tortuga Straits (by Gold Tribute), both of whom are now multiple stakes winners. Miss Atlantic City was a $5,000 RNA by consignor J. Keith Desormeaux while John Balensiefen signed the sale ticket on Tortuga Straits for $21,000 while also having consigned her.
“We have 2-year-olds from outstanding and commercial sires such as Forestry and El Prado, who each command a stud fee of $125,000, plus Malibu Moon ($40,000) and Tiznow ($25,000)," said Charlotte Stemmans Clavier, president of Stemmans, which is the administrator for the sale.
The 2006 sale, the second held at a new facility, featured gains in both average and total horses sold despite inclement weather. The sale topper was Manhattan Model. Southern Equine Stables consigned the daughter of Smoke Glacken who was purchased by Eric Guillot for $105,000.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice