Hollywood Park became the first California track to install a synthetic surface, introducing Cushion Track prior to the 2006 autumn meet. Stalls have been at a premium ever since.
“Stall applications will be heavily scrutinized,” said Martin Panza, vice president of racing. “Stalls will be given to stables with horses currently running or ready to run very quickly – stables with equal amounts of winners compared to maidens.
“We are the only track open with a synthetic surface and everyone can’t be stabled here,” Panza added. “We’ve run stats on 2-year-olds. We are looking for people that have been running at Hollywood Park early and look like they are coming in ready to run. Preference will be given to stables that run early (April) and into the summer (July).”
Panza stressed the importance of meeting the deadline.
“Late applications will receive less consideration,” he said.
Last fall, Hollywood Park saw an influx of prominent Eastern stables with the installation of Cushion Track and Panza has been on recruiting trips throughout the country in the hopes of drawing additional outfits here for the upcoming dates.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA