The increase will be paid on overnight purses, including overnight stakes races, the track announced. In addition, with the approval of the Thoroughbred Owners of California, Hollywood Park will withhold $400,000 in funds to bolster purses at the 2007 Autumn Meet.
“The Breeders’ Cup Championship fell during our 2006 dates, which helped generate the increase,” Panza said. “Holding back a portion of the money will enable us to offer very lucrative purses during the 2007 Autumn Meet.”
Besides being open for live racing on Breeders’ Cup Day, Hollywood Park benefited significantly during the 2006 Autumn Meet with the introduction of its new synthetic surface, Cushion Track.
“Fields were up by more than one horse per race, which helped generate an increase in handle,” Panza said. “We are obviously very pleased with the results of Cushion Track. It has been strongly endorsed by horsemen.”
The Hollywood Park stable area has remained full since the conclusion of the Autumn Meet on Dec. 18. There are 2,000 horses in training at the track, an increase of 800 from recent years. The Hollywood Park spring/summer meet opens on April 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap